- Best Milk Hydro Grip Primer Dupes - September 27, 2023
- From First Application to Final Results: My Milk Hydro Grip Primer Review - September 25, 2023
- NYX Primer Line Guide: Which Primer Type Is Right For Your Skin Type? - June 27, 2023
Have you ever done a killer makeup look and then have it melt off your face after a few hours? That’s where primers come into action. Color FX’s newest primer has “gripping” ingredients to keep your makeup in place.
While its formula may be too sticky for some, its stickiness works magic by keeping your makeup on all night long. Color FX has 7 primers in its collection and the Gripping Primer works best for those with oily skin who need to keep their makeup on all day.
In its promotional photos, the bottle looks black and white but on receiving this primer I noticed the bottle was more of a grey color than sparkling white – which was a shame. This primer doesn’t stand out among other well-known primers, however, it really is part of Color FX’s clean and minimalist aesthetic, so it fits the brand well.
I haven’t used any Color FX products before, so I was excited for this to be my first experience with the brand. Personally I always put primer on my face before applying makeup, especially if I am going on a night out. Primers help keep my makeup in place and enhance my makeup look, so this primer had high expectations! In this review and guide, I will be going through Color FX’s latest gripping primer and seeing if it is worth the hype.
The Bottom Line Up Front
I found Color FX’s primer worked a treat to keep my makeup on all night but the formula was extremely sticky. I have normal to oily skin and found this primer worked to reduce shine, whilst extending the wear of my makeup.
My ratings on Color FX Gripping Primer:
Make sure to get this primer for your next night out but check out Color FX’s other lighter primers for your everyday makeup look.
What Skin Type Does Color FX Work For?
This gripping primer works for any skin type. I have normal to oily skin and found it helped reduce shine. Its formula is heavy so if you have really sensitive skin, I would avoid this primer. Color FX prides itself on offering makeup and skincare that works for all skin types. They offer other primers that work for specific skin types, such as:
- Blurring Primer – all skin types
- Invisible Primer SPF 30 Broad Spectrum Sunscreen – all skin types
- Dewy Skin Primer – dry skin
- Water Cloud Primer – combination skin
- Mattifying Primer – all skin types
- Stress Remedy Primer + Redness Relief – sensitive/red skin
Color FX Gripping Primer Overview
Now before I dive into my experiences using the Color FX Gripping Primer, let’s see how Color FX describes the product and if it’s worth the $$$?
Color FX describe the primer as an “alcohol-free clear gel” that creates a “glass-like finish” and “instant skin-tightening effect” boasting a smoother-looking complexion and improved makeup wear. Plus it’s vegan and cruelty-free.
This gripping primer has three main benefits:
- Gripping – helps makeup lasts up to 16 hours
- Firming – provides a smoother complexion
- Anti-aging – reduces fine lines
What Color FX recommend using after the gripping primer:
Obviously, Color FX use its own makeup products in its full-face look. However, they keep the makeup look clean and simple to create that “clean girl” aesthetic.
- Gripping Primer
- Power Play Foundation in G50 and G70
- Power Play Concealer in N Light 2
- Monochromatic Bronzer Duo in Sunkissed Bronze
- Illuminating Setting Spray
What ingredients are in the Color FX Gripping Primer?
So what is actually in the primer? Color FX lists these ingredients in its gripping primer:
- Kelp Extract: Instantly firms and visibly smooths skin, creating a flawless canvas for makeup application.
- Plankton-Derived Polymer Complex: Visibly smooths fine lines for a youthful appearance.
- Micro-Algae Extract: Reduces the look of visible signs of aging. Rich in vitamins and amino acids.
However, here is a more detailed list of what is actually in the gripping primer:
- Polysorbate 80
- PEG-150 Distearate
- Sucrose Stearate
- Hydrogenated Lecithin
- Caprylyl Glycol
- Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer
- Disodium EDTA
- Macrocystis Pyrifera (Kelp) Extract
- Chlorella Vulgaris Extract
- Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein
- Saccharide Isomerate
Now that I am getting older, I am curious to see if it reduces my fine lines and creates a flawless canvas for my makeup application so let’s dive in?
My Experience Trying Color FX Gripping Primer
As luck will have it, my NYX Marshmallow Primer was at the end of its days and I was in need of a new primer to hold my makeup together. I made sure to moisturise my face first with CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30 (gotta get that SPF in!).
Product Application & Results – Very Sticky But It Works!
While the bottle design didn’t impress me, I was excited to try on my new primer. I had a night out planned with my friends so knew I was doing a heavy make-up look that needed to last all evening. That’s where a good primer comes in to save the day, so I had high hopes for Color FX Gripping Primer.
My skin type: I have normal to oily skin so I always have to use a powder when applying my makeup to reduce shine. This primer really helped reduce shine whilst keeping my makeup on all night.
The application was easy. I made sure to put a couple of pea-sized amounts onto my fingers and rubbed the product across my face. I then patted my face gently to help the product seep into my skin. I was very surprised at how sticky the formula was as usually, my primers are silky smooth.
I actually had to wash my hands after applying it so that I could do my makeup look without having sticky hands. This was a big negative for me but I carried on with my makeup look and headed out to have a fun night with friends.
My makeup look after using Color FX Gripping Primer:
These were the products I used in my Saturday night makeup look:
- Foundation: L’Oréal True Match Foundation in shade ‘Warm’
- Concealer: L’Oréal True Match Concealer in shade “Light/Medium
- Bronzer: Benefit Cheekleaders Palette
- Highlighter: Charlotte Tilbury Highlighter Wand
- Blush: Charlotte Tilbury Blush Wand
- Contour: Charlotte Tilbury Contour Wand
- Eyeshadow: Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk Palette
- Eyeliner: Rimmel Glam Eyes Black Liquid Eyeliner
- Eyebrows: Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Pencil
- Powder: Laura Mercier Powder
I used a lot more products as I was heading out for drinks, so it is interesting to see how it compares to a light makeup look that Color FX show in their Instagram post, compared to my “heavier” makeup look. It really kept my whole look together the entire night. I danced the night away and my makeup didn’t move an inch!
I was extremely impressed at how well my makeup stayed on all night and felt I really had a flawless base with my foundation. I knew the gripping primer was the culprit for my flawless look so felt so pleased with how well it turned out!
How did the primer work during the night?
I went out for cocktails with friends and then headed to a club to dance the night away with my closest girlfriends. So how did the primer last? I noticed all night that my makeup look didn’t move an inch. I was in a hot and sweaty nightclub and whenever I went to touch up my lipgloss, I noticed how my glam makeup look stayed the same.
I was super impressed by this gripping primer. However, there was some foundation transfer whenever I went to hug friends but that’s mainly due to a cheap drugstore foundation I use.
Pros & Cons of Color FX Gripping Primer
- Vegan & Cruelty-free
- Keeps makeup on for a very long time (up to 16 hours)
- Creates a flawless base
- Reduces shine
- You don’t need to use a lot of product to fully cover your face
- No SPF! But that’s okay if you make sure to use a moisturizer beforehand (like I used the CeraVe AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30)
- Not super cheap compared to other more affordable primers (hello NYX Marshmallow Primer)
- Sticky formula
- The packaging doesn’t stand out
- Doesn’t help reduce foundation transfer onto clothes
- Avoid if you have very sensitive skin as the product is heavy on your face
Packaging: 3/10 – While this primer fits Color FX clean brand, its packaging really doesn’t stand out and looks well…quite boring. I was also disappointed by the dull grey color of the bottle.
Longevity: 10/10 – What saves this primer is how long your makeup will stay on. I was amazed. My makeup lasted all night and looked flawless.
Application: 9/10 – Easy to apply. I put a few pea-sized amounts on my fingers and rubbed the product on my face. I then patted my face dry and let it set for a few minutes.
Formula: 2/10 – I hate to say it but I really didn’t like this formula! It was way too sticky and I had to wash my hands afterwards. However, I can’t complain about how well it kept my makeup on. I will be using this product for my next night out.
Effect: 10/10 – If you have a night out coming up then make sure to use this product. It will keep your glam look in place while you dance the night away.
Other Alternatives to Consider:
Color FX has a range of primers in its makeup collection:
- Blurring Primer – this bottle is baby pink and works as a silky, lightweight primer that blurs the appearance of pores and fine lines. It creates a ‘soft-focus’ effect ($38.00 Color FX).
- Invisible Primer SPF 30 Broad Spectrum Sunscreen – primer and sunscreen all in one! This primer creates a silky-smooth finish and protects your skin from UV rays. This is for all skin types and skin tones ($38.00 Color FX).
- Dewy Skin Primer – claiming to hydrate skin for 24 hours, this primer packs a punch. Ingredients include coconut Alkanes, hyaluronic acid and squalane to hydrate skin with an “all-over dewy finish” ($38.00 Color FX).
- Water Cloud Primer – this is a mousse primer that defends skin against pollution and blue light. It’s perfect if you live in a packed city ($38.00 Color FX).
- Mattifying Primer – a weightless gel primer that mattifies the skin, treats blemishes and reduces the appearance of pores ($38.00 Color FX).
- Stress Remedy Primer + Redness Relief – this is a multi-tasking primer that protects sensitive skin and reduces redness ($38.00 Color FX).
Keep in mind all of these primers are vegan and cruelty-free (win-win!)
Want to branch out and try primers from a different makeup company? Below are some alternatives to the Color FX Gripping Primer that will give your makeup a flawless finish:
- On a budget? NYX Marshmallow Primer – As I’ve already mentioned this primer is a steal for its price and 10-in-1 primer effect, plus it smells like marshmallows! I use this primer for my everyday makeup look as it has a silky formula and works well to keep my foundation on during the day. ($17.00 NYX).
- Splurge: Charlotte Tilbury’s Wonderglow Face Primer – If you have money to splurge on then go get this primer! Why? This primer will give you dewy and radiant skin. ($55.00 Charlotte Tilbury)
- Best dupe: Milk Makeup Hydro Grip Primer – Still looking for a “grip” primer? With aloe water, cherry blossom, hyaluronic acid and B vitamins, this primer will fulfil all your skin’s needs. This oil-free formula will grip your makeup into place ($18.00 Sephora).
Question – What does a Gripping Primer do?
Answer – To keep it simple a gripping primer grips your makeup together. So if you want a tight makeup look that won’t melt off while you’re dancing in the club, then grab this primer.
Question – How do you apply a gripping primer?
Answer – Make sure you apply moisturiser beforehand and add small pea-sized amounts to your fingers then gently rub the product all over your face. An expert tip is to tap your face once it is all rubbed in. This really sets the product in place. Also (if you have time) leave your face alone for a few minutes to help the product do its magic, then add your favourite foundation.
Question – Do you really need a primer before foundation?
Answer – No it’s not a necessity. However, makeup artists and experts highly recommend that you use a primer to fully take advantage of your stylish makeup look! Also, primers can have many benefits to your skin like built-in SPF, reducing your pores and so much more.
Question – How many primers does Color FX offer?
Answer – At the moment Color FX sells 7 different primers:
• Gripping Primer
• Blurring Primer
• Invisible Primer SPF 30 Broad Spectrum Sunscreen
• Dewy Skin Primer
• Water Cloud Primer
• Mattifying Primer
• Stress Remedy Primer + Redness Relief
Question – How much is the Color FX Gripping Primer?
Answer – On the official website, it’s $38.00 – the same price as the other Color FX primers.
Color FX Gripping Primer Review: Final Thoughts
While this bottle doesn’t stand out from other primers, it fits Color FX’s brand and works magic on your face. I wouldn’t use it as my everyday primer due to the sticky formula and lack of SPF ingredients.
However, its sticky formula worked a treat for my night out as it kept my glam look in place all night. Run to grab this gripping primer for your next girls’ night out but check out Color FX’s other lighter primers for your everyday makeup look.