It’s amazing how a word can quickly become synonymous with another, and this is especially true for products like Chapstick. Perhaps back in 1900, when someone heard someone reference a product called “ChapStick,” they all thought about the registered brand with that name.
Today, however, when you hear the word “Chapstick,” you may think about all kinds of lip balms used to keep your lips soft and smooth. We can’t blame you! The brand became so popular that today is the designed name for these kinds of lip balms.
We all know their main function: besides making your lips soft, chapsticks protect them from dry wind, sudden changes in temperature, and dehydration.
Moreover, some lip balm brands promise you all of this and more (including the original ChapStick one, of course). So, you don’t even know where to start. How can you identify which one is the best? Some of them are more expensive, does that mean they are better? Are there some cheaper alternatives?
Today, we’re going to make this easy for you. We’ll see some of the best chapsticks out there. We’ll see their advantages, disadvantages, and even some tips to give them the best use. In the end, you will know how to find the best chapstick for your needs.
When Was the First Chapstick Created?
As mentioned before, chapsticks started as a brand name, specifically in 1880 . Believe it or not, it wasn’t that successful, and it had to go through several hands before being victorious in the early 1900s.
At first, chapsticks were translucent, and the presentation itself wasn’t that iconic. People couldn’t choose which color or flavor to buy. There was only one: regular Chapstick Lip Balm .
As years went by, other brands like Carmex came to the surface. Carmex was in part funded to be an ointment for herpes since the creator, Alfred Woelbing, had herpes labialis (your everyday cold sore , essentially). Soon it became another renamed brand for lip balms in the world.
By 1971, ChapStick lip balms already had different flavors and colors the client could choose to buy.
Besides the founders ChapStick and Carmex, today some notable brands include EOS, Lypsyl, Blistex, and Burt’s Bees. They all have different qualities we’re going to explore in this article.
Why Are Chapsticks Important?
The skin of the lips is considerably thin and weak. Unlike other parts of the body, lips do not have sebaceous glands or melanin to help keep them moist and protected. Therefore, when applying the balm, the lips are covered by external agents for a longer time. They are also softened, regenerated, and nourished.
With cold, wind, heat, or other agents, lips tend to dry out and flake. The solution to this problem is simple, and here is when lip balms come to action. Regarding the ingredients, the balms are made mainly of wax. They also tend to be enriched with other elements such as:
- Shea butter
- Almond oils
- Aloe vera
- Hyaluronic acid
As a general rule, you should choose balms that contain SPF. This way, you can prevent sun’s rays damage. You can also see how brands have been developing new balms with different formats. You can find everything from lipstick-shaped lip balms to creamy or gel balms.
The same goes for their color. In the beginning, the balms used to be transparent and colorless. However, cosmetic brands have been concerned with creating chapsticks that add color and shine to the lips. An excellent idea if we also want to use it as a makeup product!
Now, regarding their composition, there are different types of chapsticks.
What Are the Different Types of Chapsticks?
Depending on what your preferred lip balm has to offer, you will find all kinds of lip balms out there. They can be simple, flavored, with sunscreen, medicated, tinted, and even organic.
- Organic. This is the type of lip balm that has natural components. One of the most popular ingredients it’s beeswax, since Burt’s Bees, a hugely popular brand of natural lip balm, originated from there. Other brands add Vitamins like C and E or cocoa butter. Organic chapsticks are successful because they’re good for the environment.
- Tinted. Tinted balms are another popular choice. Although natural lip balm helps us take care of our lips or prevent chapped lips, many of us also like to take advantage of the occasion to beautify our lips by adding a touch of color. There is a wide variety of tinted chapsticks available in countless colors. Pinks, oranges, purples, reds, and all the ranges in between. Either way, what makes it stand it’s the promise that you can take care of your lips while using makeup.
- Medicated. Medicated balms are designed to soothe chapped or dry lips, many natural varieties of lip balm have ingredients that relieve the pain of chapped skin. Among the most common ones are menthol or eucalyptus, which relieve any pain caused by dry lips. Physicians recommend you only use them when you are about to sleep or as you wake up in the morning.
- Flavored. These are the kinds of lip balm that come with some flavor. They’re edible, of course, so you do not have to worry about that. They come in flavors like grape, lemonade, coconut, vanilla, bubblegum, and others.
- With sunscreen. You can also call them SPF or Sun Protection Factor balms. A lot of lip balms come with at least an SPF 4, which means they can protect your lips from UVB rays. However, other specialized brands make them with an SPF 15. Marvelous for a summer day with your friends!
- Customized. some brands allow you to customize your lip balm, meaning you can choose the flavor and if you want a message in the lip balm tube. This idea is excellent for baby showers, a birthday gift, or even a wedding.
Keep in mind, today’s most lip balm brands can make their chapstick to be flavored or with sunscreen and organic at the same time. So you won’t have to spend extra money buying one of each, though it can be fun to try!
How is Chapstick Packaged?
There are a lot of ways in which brands package their chapstick, such as:
- Lip balm tube: It is probably the most popular one. The balm is inside a tube, and the user can twist the bottom part of it to raise the content. This way, you can apply it directly to your lips. These tubes also come with a cap, so the lip balm doesn’t get dirty.
- Mini jar: These are pots made of glass or plastic. They don’t have the twist part of the lip balm tubes. So if you want to apply it, you will have to uncap it and use your finger to get some product. They are popular among users and lip balm brands: this package is less expensive than the other ones.
- Lip balm ball: As the name suggests, in this case, the lip balm is inside a circular shape. You will have to uncap it, but this time you won’t need to use your fingers. You can apply it as you will do with the lip balm tube. ( EOS popularized this package.)
- Squeeze tube: Lip gloss made this package familiar, and I’m sure you might have heard of it. They are similar to a lip ball tube, except manufacturers make them with a softer material which allows you to hence the word, squeeze it. At the top of the container, this kind of package has a small hole in which the lip ball comes out as you compress and apply it to your lips.
Now that you know almost everything about chapsticks, from their history to their ingredients, you may be wondering which is the best one for you.
What Are the Best Chapsticks?
So, if you want to know which are the best lip balms on the market, we have compiled a selection for you. You can look perfect while you take care of your lips. Take note!
Kiehl’s Lip Balm
Their lip balm formula is highly hydrating and takes exceptional care of dry and chapped lips. It contains squalene (of vegetable origin, not of animal origin, which is also there!), Vitamin E, almond oil, wheat germ oil, allantoin (a substance of vegetable origin that contributes to skin regeneration), and aloe vera.
This lip balm is available unscented or colorless and in a wide variety of scents as coconut, blueberry, mango, mint, pear, and vanilla. Another characteristic is the SPF 4.
- It’s a cheap option to keep your lips moisturized.
- Kiehl is a renamed brand, and their lip balm is one of the most sold cosmetic products.
- This lip balm formula has organic ingredients, which are marvelous for your lips and the environment.
- It’s unscented, so you can use it even if you have sensitive skin.
- The SPF is too low when compared to other brands.
- It doesn’t have any color, and some users prefer their lip balm to be tinted.
Burt’s Bees Lip Balm
Their most distinctive characteristic is the ingredients they use. Their lip balms combine natural oils and beeswax.
This last element is the star of its necessary lip balm that hydrates and nourishes the lips thanks to the shea butter, botanical oils, and vitamin E present in this formula. This company takes pride in saying their lip balm it’s 100% natural.
According to their company , chances are, every second someone is buying one over the world right now. Yes, you read it right. Every second, somebody goes and buys a Burt’s Bees beeswax lip balm. That means 86,400 lip balms a day are sold!
- Their formula is 100% natural.
- In addition to leaving the lips hydrated, these balms have a very refreshing peppermint oil infusion.
- It’s one of the most bought lip balms because of their low price.
- It comes scented with coconut, pear, mango, grapefruit, among others.
- It does not add any color to your lips.
- It doesn’t have SPF.
- As well as a pro, it’s a con as well: this product has fragrance, and some dermatologists advise against this kind of lip balm.
Carmex Classic Lip Balm
At the beginning of this article, I said Carmex was one of the few pioneer brands that started to sell their lip balms.
They currently have a range of different lip flavors (classic, cherry, vanilla, peach, among others), and this chapstick comes in diverse formats like a jar, regular tube, and squeeze tube. However, the original jar is the brand icon, a recognizable item in all parts of the world.
On their website, they say that they sell 130 lip balms per minute in the world. Some others claim this is the second most sold chapstick brand in the world. Impressive!
- This lip balm takes little time to take effect.
- It has an SPF 15.
- Users report this lip balm leaves your lips more shiny and soft when compared to other brands.
- Most Carmex lip balms expire after two years, long enough for you to use them completely.
- There are three presentations, so you can choose which one you like best: jar, tube or squeeze tube.
- It is not tested on animals.
- Some users consider it to be too sticky.
- It has a strong menthol fragrance.
- It hasn’t that many organic ingredients.
- They are more expensive than other lip balm options.
- Flavors are not available in all formats.
- It’s comedogenic. It means this lip balm it’s not recommended for people who have oily or acne-prone skin.
Intense Therapy Lip Balm by Jack Black
The “Intense” in this lip balm’s name stands out, and we can see why! It has SPF 25, a long-lasting effect, the package is astounding, and it also has a refreshing slight mint scent. A lot of Youtube Beauty Gurus use this one as their first step in their lip makeup routine.
In this lip balm formula, the ingredients that stand above the others are beeswax, avocado oil, green tea extract, cocoa butter, and of course, the shea butter that gives this Jack Black chapstick the fame it has because of its smell.
- This lip balm keeps your lips soft and moisturized for hours. It also has a long-lasting effect on the lips, making them perfect for any lipstick application.
- It has SPF 25. More SPF than other lip balms on this list.
- Some users agree the smell is subtle and very sweet.
- It’s transparent.
- Some users feel this lip balm is not as sticky on the lips as others.
- It’s a cruelty-free brand . Jack Black doesn’t test on animals.
- The container gets easily dirty, so you have to clean it constantly.
- Some users consider the formula to be too sticky.
- Some users report there is itching on the lips at the time of application.
- It’s transparent. It’s also a con since some women prefer their lip balm to be tinted.
- User reviews say the lip balm is pricy.
ChapStick Classic Lip Balm
This brand is the one that started everything. It comes in different types like Original, Moisturizer, Spearmint, Cherry, and Sun Defense, each one with different characteristics. Here in this article, I will talk about the Original one.
It is a neutral type protector, without SPF, and without any fragrance or color. As the name “classic” suggests, this chapstick fulfills the essential function of keeping your lips soft and hydrated.
- It’s easy to use because of its lip balm tube package.
- It’s a cheap option.
- Moisturizers and hydrates your lips.
- You can use it as a base before applying lipstick or lip gloss.
- It doesn’t have SPF.
- It doesn’t have any color.
- It needs reapplication after some hours.
Fresh Sugar Tulip Tinted Lip Treatment
This lip balm has become a best-selling lip treatment and a favorite among all the people who try it. It’s a lip balm focused on softening, protecting, and hydrating your lips.
Fresh Sugar Tulip Tinted Lip Treatment’s more distinctive characteristic is the combination of repairing oils and waxes with actual sugar, a reliable moisturizer since the beginning of time.
Among other ingredients, there are vitamins like vitamins A, C, and E. It has a sparkling citrus smell, and it’s also free of lanolin, mineral oil, and petroleum, ingredients that can irritate sensitive lips. And if that wasn’t enough to convince you, it has an SPF of 15.
- It has SPF 15.
- It has a citrus scent.
- It’s tinted, so you can use it as lipstick if you want.
- You constantly have to reapply it. It hasn’t a long-lasting effect as prominent as other brands.
- It’s expensive when compared to other lip balm brands.
- The SPF is low.
- Some users don’t like the smell of citrus.
Vaseline Lip Therapy in Cocoa Butter
Vaseline has been a product that people have loved for generations. We all know some of its uses, but did you know you can also apply it as a lip balm?
It is a product that works as a “barrier.” It means it does not help in hydrating your lips. However, what it does do it’s keeping the moisture, while at the same time it helps to protect the lips from any further damage.
- Its size is super practical.
- It’s available in three flavors and a tinted one.
- It smells good. Besides the Cocoa Butter one that smells exquisite, they are other super special editions and including different ingredients like beeswax.
- It’s one of the more traditional ways to moisturize your lips.
- It’s enhanced with ingredients like almond oil, vitamin E, and shea butter.
- Some of its antioxidant properties can protect your lips from UV rays.
- It doesn’t have SPF.
- Their formula has petrolatum, an ingredient some dermatologists advise against since it can damage your lips even more.
- Vaseline doesn’t hydrate your lips, only seal in moisture.
Blistex Daily Lip Conditioner
This lip balm is a classic. One of its main characteristics is the formula: it has moisturizing and protective components that keep your lips soft. It’s excellent for you to apply it to any occasion. Winter, summer, you name it. Blistex is one of the pioneers when you’re about to talk about chapstick fashion.
- It has SPF 15.
- It has Vitamin E.
- It’s enriched with moisturizing agents and protective ones. Among these ingredients are Aloe vera, collagen, and olive oil.
- It comes in different flavors like raspberry lemonade blast or orange mango blast .
- It has petrolatum.
Tips on How to Find the Best Chapstick
Here are some valuable tips for when you go to buy a good lip balm:
- Avoid ingredients like phenol, menthol, and salicylic acid. Some people say that applying lip balm stops the body from generating natural moisture around the lips, but that is just a myth. However, some lip balms (typically the ones that contain those ingredients) can cause dry lips . Then you have to apply more, and it becomes a vicious cycle. Besides, these lip balms usually cause a tingling sensation when you use them.
- Limit the use of lip balms that contain scent or flavoring. Some scent chemicals can irritate your skin or cause allergies. They dry out the skin on your lips, and then it may feel more cracked.
- Look for simple petroleum-based products. These keep the lips hydrated and prevent future chapping, rather than causing them.
- When you can, try to buy a lip balm that is at least SPF 30. Dermatologists suggest lip gloss or lipstick with at least SPF 30 . They also recommend using sunscreen on your lips when you are at the pool or beach. If your lip balm doesn’t have SPF, you can always use sunscreen since it’s always better than nothing.
Our Top Recommendations
Just as we mentioned some of the most used products when taking care of your lips, we also made a section of some personal favorites.
Maybelline Baby Lips
Maybelline is known for giving us quality products at a low price, and this lip balm is no exception. Baby Lips perfectly combines the aesthetics of the lipstick while at the same time having the characteristics of a regenerating lip balm. It has six shades. Depending on the shade, it also gives a natural look and some color to your lips, perfect for everyday use.
- Leaves your lips soft and hydrated for several hours.
- It’s a really cheap option.
- Users describe the container as “cute” and “girly.”
- Users say it gives automatic moisturization to their lips and an improvement in the lips’ appearance.
- Some reports say their formula has harmful ingredients, but no formal study has ever been done to prove this in the long term.
- This lip balm doesn’t have any SPF.
Aquaphor Lip Repair Ointment
This lip balm goes into the “Medical Chapstick” type. It is easy to apply chapstick to both dry and chapped lips. It provides immediate relief, and it’s also amazing to soothe lips as it leaves them soft. About the ingredients, their formula with 5% Panthenol improves irritation symptoms such as dryness, scaling, and roughness while working with the skin’s natural healing processes to help it regenerate.
Other ingredients include Vitamin C and Vitamin E that provide antioxidant benefits that protect the skin from free radicals.
Besides all that, this lip balm it’s enriched with Bisabolol and Panthenol, both elements that improve your skin’s healing process.
- It doesn’t have any alcohol, silicones, parabens, or sulfates.
- It’s transparent.
- The glycerin in their formula keeps the skin hydrated and also protected from environmental sources of irritation.
- Most people can use this lip balm even if they have sensitive skin.
- Their formula has Bisabolol, an ingredient with anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant properties.
- Their squeeze tube container it’s simple and small. Perfect to put it in your handbag.
- It has petrolatum, and some dermatologists advise against this ingredient.
- It doesn’t come with SPF.
Now you’ve decided which one to buy. How are you going to keep your lips soft while using them?
Ways to Keep Your Lips Soft
- Do not lick your lips. Licking your lips can make them drier because saliva produces enzymes that affect your lips.
- Drink plenty of water and eat well. Most of the time, dry lips can be a sign of dehydration.
- If your lips are severely dry, make sure they are not a sign of a health problem.
Question: Which ChapStick is the best?
Answer: It all depends on your expectations and the central goal of using the chapstick you want it to have. You could be searching for a tinted lip balm, so of course, the best choice for you will be a lip balm with color.
If you need a medicated chapstick, your best option would be that one, and so on. Some of the brands in this article represent the most used ones, whatever the type of chapstick you want.
Question: What should I look for in ChapStick?
Answer: Physicians usually recommend the types made with organic ingredients like beeswax and natural oils. They also recommend the ones with petroleum in their formula because that way, your lips will keep moisturized over time.
Other recommended elements include Vitamin E and cocoa butter and SPF 15 or even higher. According to dermatologists , people with sensitive lips should avoid anything with a fragrance too harsh or with flavor because they can irritate the skin on your lips even more.
Question: Is ChapStick bad for your lips?
Answer: According to scientific studies, some lip balms only make your lips soft for a short time.
Dermatologists say the explanation behind this is that the layer of lip balm you apply to your lips evaporates, so it creates a vicious cycle where you will keep using the chapstick, but it will be making your lips worse.
It’s good to examine the ingredients of the lip balm you are using. Remember to watch for ingredients like camphor, eucalyptus, salicylic acid, and menthol.
Question: What lip balm is best for chapped lips?
Answer: Some ingredients found in lip balms formulas damage your lips. The more severely chapped your lips are, the fewer additives your lip balm should have. However, some ingredients help with chapped lips.
These ingredients include castor seed oil, Dimethicone, mineral oil, ceramides, hemp seed oil, and white petroleum jelly, found in classic Vaseline. Dermatologists also recommend drinking lots of water to stay hydrated and avoid licking your lips since this only aggravates the issue.
Question: Is chapstick addictive?
Answer: The scientific explanation for this says that no. No evidence supports the fact that chapstick can be addictive, mainly because there’s no ingredient in the lip balm’s formula that can cause withdrawal symptoms.
Nevertheless, you can’t be addicted, but you could be so used to applying it every day that it feels like an addiction. Science calls this a habit, and it’s not a reason to worry. However, it might be a habit getting out of hand if you feel identified with some symptoms like:
• You feel like you get frustrated when you don’t have your lip balm with you.
• You are spending too much money on buying new ones even if you already have enough chapsticks.
• You have a difficult time trying to concentrate if you don’t apply your lip balm every day.
Final Thoughts: How to Find the Best Chapstick
Finding the best chapstick is an exhausting task. Every day there are new brands and new lip balms to buy. Besides, science advances every day and delights us with all kinds of new data about chapsticks. Some ingredients are harmful, and it’s better to avoid them.
Some others are actually great and help to moisturize your lips. Some of these brands have a long trajectory behind them, and their chapsticks might be more expensive than the others. You must consider all of this when choosing a lip balm. Sometimes less is better, and that is something good to acknowledge when buying a chapstick.
Of all of these Chapsticks, if we had to choose a favorite, we’d definitely put in our vote for Maybelline Baby Lips. Between its affordable price point, and all of the perks, we can overlook its lack of SPF. Just make sure you apply a heavy-duty sunblock onto your lips before going outside!
We hope you find all of these tips useful on your way to discovering (and buying!) The best chapstick according to your needs. As you could see, there are lots of them different in shape, characteristics, and ingredients. It’s up to you to find which one is the one that will accompany you in your car, handbag, or nightstand!