Every winter, I deal with dry skin and dry or chapped lips because of the windy and cold weather. Over the years, I’ve tried so many products, and only a few of them were actually effective, so I became highly frustrated. This beauty and skincare product was invented a long time ago, in 1880, and since then, it has become a universal body care item.
Lip balms are different from lipsticks and lip glosses in terms of texture and purpose. They feature a creamy or wax-like consistency that’s meant to moisten your dried and chapped lips. Most lip balms don’t have color, although some of them might leave a subtle pinkish or peachy shade on your lips.
In today’s guide, I will talk about the things you should keep in mind before purchasing a lip balm, some of the best options on the market, and so much more.
How to Find the Best Lip Balm – Tips to Consider & Buying Guide
Lip balms will keep your lips hydrated and moisturized. They are a layer of protection for your lips, especially during cold winter times. There are so many different types of lip balms out there that it can become overwhelming to choose and buy one. Here are the most important aspects you should keep in mind when looking for the perfect lip balm.
Check the Ingredients
Certain lip balms will have the opposite effect of what you need. Instead of moisturizing your lips, they will dry them out. So, you want to avoid those products, and you can do that by reading the label. Other ingredients like menthol are great as long as they’re used only for a short period, while a longer use can lead to dry lips and tingling sensations.
Other lip balms have the purpose of exfoliating the skin of your lips, so they include a compound named salicylic acid. Another important thing you must remember is that, wanting or not, you will ingest part of the lip balm since it’s on your lips, and we all tend to lick our lips.
The product will be easily transferred from your lips into your mouth and further down into your stomach while you’re talking.
For that reason, you should stick to safe lip balms, preferably made of natural and non-toxic ingredients. The best types of lip balms are those that are made with natural and even healthy ingredients such as shea butter, beeswax, cocoa butter, apricot kernel oil, and others.
Flavor & Fragrance
Some people like their balms to have a fruit perfume, but most of you don’t really love a more powerful lip balm aroma, and they even consider that to be a huge put-off.
Think about your preferences and your favorite perfumes, and, when possible, try several different products to see which one suits you the most. There are also flavor-free and fragrance-free lip balms on the market if you want something as simple as possible.
You must consider the packaging, but first, you must think about the way you’re going to use this product and the place you’re going to apply it the most.
For instance, if you plan to apply it at home, you can opt for any type of packaging you want, including tiny containers that resemble a cream bottle or jar. If you want to use it on the go, you should opt for a solid lip balm that comes in a lipstick tube.
Also, to achieve a thicker layer of balm on your lips, you should choose to purchase a stick lip balm.
Those of you who deal with very dry lips that are chapped or peeled off should opt for medicinal lip balms that contain specific ingredients that will fulfill two purposes: will make your lips a lot softer while also curing the main issue that makes your lips so cracked.
Be aware of the fact that certain balms, although very pleasant in terms of flavor and texture, might damage your lips even more than they already are. So, it’s always wise to check the ingredients list before making a purchase.
In my opinion, the best kind of lip balm is the one that offers multiple benefits. A great example could be a lip balm that moisturizes and hydrates your lips, comes with SPF to protect your lips from direct sunlight, has a natural pink color when applied, and features a fresh minty fragrance.
Take your time when choosing the right lip balm for your needs. After all, the purpose of this product is to make the skin of your lips feel and look amazing. Perhaps, you should opt for one that contains high-quality oils like sage oil, tea tree oil, and others. One that’s formulated with vitamin E is also a great choice.
Search for those lip balms that don’t contain parabens and have an SPF of at least 15.
Ingredients to Avoid
- Parabens: These artificial compounds are additives that are supposed to prevent bacterial infections. Still, some specialists say they could be unsafe for our bodies and skin;
- Salicylic acid: Normally, this ingredient is used to lower skin inflammation, but many lip balms contain it, too, because it appears to be effective in swamping off dry skin. However, while it works on skin breakouts, salicylic acid won’t really make your lips smooth;
- Phenol, camphor, and menthol: All these three ingredients add a cooling effect when applied to your skin, but, at the same time, they could lead to your skin drying out and stripping off the exterior skin layers. If your lips aren’t protected by their exterior skin layer anymore, they become very vulnerable when faced with outside harmful elements such as cold air, sunlight, and more.
- Cocoa and shea butter: Not only these two ingredients won’t aggravate your current problem, but they’ll also nourish and soften your skin;
- Beeswax: This ingredient is great at holding water, so it will keep your lips hydrated for hours. It’s a natural and safe compound that has antibacterial properties;
- Lanolin: This substance will protect your lips from getting dry and damaged. Moreover, it will soothe your skin.
Top 5 Best Lip Balms on the Market
Here are some of the most popular lip balms available out there. I have chosen them based on their effectiveness and consumer ratings, but they’re not presented in any specific order.
Original Beeswax Lip Balm from Burt’s Bees
This lip balm made by Burt’s Bees is naturally formulated and has a budget-friendly price. Together with the other main ingredient, vitamin E, this balm offers a high level of hydration. It also has powerful antioxidant effects. The product includes a refreshing ingredient, peppermint oil which might tingle a bit when you apply the balm. All the ingredients come from sustainable sources.
- It’s a natural and safe lip balm;
- This product is affordable;
- The containers are all recyclable;
- It’s free from parabens and sulfated;
- This is a cruelty-free beauty product;
- It offers a long-lasting effect.
- If you use it during hot summer days, its texture could become softer than you want or need.
Sugar Bloom Fresh SPF Lip Balm
This SPF 15 lip balm made by Sugar Bloom is more like a lip treatment product. After using this product, your lips will become softer, smoother, and moisturized. I also love the pink hue that this solid balm leaves on my lips. This lip moisturizer is very effective, having a long-lasting result. All the ingredients are safe and natural, including sugar, natural oils, beeswax, and vitamins E and C.
- This is a buildable color so you can apply as many layers as you want;
- It has a pleasant perfume;
- It’s formulated with SPF 15 for boosted protection;
- You can choose from no less than 14 different shades.
- It’s more expensive compared to other similar products;
- It isn’t a cruelty-free product.
Chanel Hydrating Lip Balm
This Chanel lip balm is known as the Rouge Coco Baume beauty product that will condition and hydrate the skin of your lips. It offers you a glossy and colorless finish. The texture is very soft and feels lightweight on your lips. The Chanel hydrating balm is focused mainly on hydrating your lips and nothing else. They might get a soft glossy look, but there will be no color whatsoever.
- This lip balm is effective when it comes to moisturizing your lips;
- It comes in a classy package that resembles the iconic one of all Chanel’s lipsticks;
- It’s a real lip balm that doesn’t have color.
- It’s a very expensive beauty product but that was to be expected since it’s marketed by the famous Chanel brand.
Whish Lip Balm
This lip balm from Whish has long been underrated but it’s based on an effective plant extract that offers numerous skin benefits. It will make your lips look better and smoother while also preventing dry skin. It’s highly moisturizing and features a clear color. With the Whish lip balm applied to your lips, you’ll achieve a glossy finish.
There are two amazing flavors to choose from watermelon and pink champagne. The first one is my personal favorite choice.
- It will moisturize your cracked and dry lips;
- It’s a colorless lip balm;
- Both flavors smell excellent, and their taste is also exquisite;
- It’s very easy to apply.
- It’s quite expensive;
- If you plan to apply a lip gloss over this balm, I don’t think the purchase is really worth it.
Summer Fridays Lip Balm
This Summer Fridays lip balm will make your lips look glowy and chic due to its buttery texture. It serves two purposes and you can use it as a balm or as a day mask for your lips. The Summer Fridays balm is filled with natural and nourishing ingredients like Shea butter, vitamins, and fatty acids. It’s formulated with vegan wax which ensures a shiny yet non-greasy texture when applied to your lips.
- You can use this product as either a balm or a lip mask;
- The formula isn’t sticky at all, which I love;
- Your lips will become moisturized and will remain so for hours;
- It’s effective on dry and sensitive skin;
- The packaging is very easy to use.
- It’s a bit expensive;
- Some say that they find this product not as long-lasting as they thought it would be;
- You’ll have to choose between tinted and non-tinted formulas.
Question: What Causes Dry Lips?
Answer: Most of the time, dry and chapped lips are caused by the influence of external and environmental factors such as sun, cold, wind, etc. Other potential causes are the habit of constantly licking or biting your lips, eating too much spicy food, and even certain medications. Common reactions are irritations, burning sensations, and dry skin.
Question: Is It Normal for a Lip Balm to Create Tingling Sensations?
Answer: Yes, as long as the lip balm you’re using contains ingredients like menthol or camphor, which are both numbing agents. However, pay attention to your skin’s reactions, because, in some situations, people can be allergic to certain compounds found in the lip balm they’re using.
Question: How Can You Avoid Chapped Lips?
Answer: Here are some useful and simple tips that you can follow if you want to prevent chapped and dry
• Try not to lick your lips because saliva will only make them even drier through evaporation;
• Use non-fragrant lip balms that are made of natural moisturizing ingredients;
• Apply sunscreen or opt for a lip balm that has SPF;
• Use a scarf to cover your lips during winter, whenever you go outside;
• Avoid cosmetic products that contain allergens like dyes, perfumes, and fragrances;
• Keep yourself well-hydrated, both inside and out, by using a home humidifier, drinking a lot of water, and applying moisturizing creams on your skin.
How to Find the Best Lip Balm – Final Thoughts
Chronically chapped lips are something you want to avoid, prevent, or at least treat as soon as the issue occurs. No matter the type of lip balm you choose to buy, you should make sure it’s a high-quality, hypoallergenic, and safe product that’s effective when it comes to softening and protecting your lips. Unfortunately, there are numerous low-quality and even shady products out there that you should stay away from.
At the same time, there are plenty of excellent choices that are also affordable.
- How to Find the Best Blurring Primer: Top 7 Choices to Consider - April 13, 2023
- Best Hypoallergenic Eyeliner Options For Sensitive Eyes - April 10, 2023
- Best Under Eye Setting Powder Options: 13 Powders I Trust with No Caking - April 3, 2023