The entire makeup industry was taken by storm by the Korean beauty concept which becomes more popular every single day. These new trends have transformed the manner in which beauty experts approached makeup and skincare. Think about foundations, for instance. Korean brands that market foundations don’t focus only on coverage. They are formulated with skin-friendly ingredients.
So, besides offering you a nice natural makeup finish, these products will also improve the way your skin looks and make it healthier. Most Korean foundations lead to a dewy appearance but some brands also sell semi-matte and matte foundations. Scroll down to discover some of the best Korean foundations on the market as well as the things you should consider when purchasing them.
How to Find the Best Korean Foundation – a Brief Buying Guide
If you want a great makeup outcome and a flawless skin look, you should definitely include a Korean foundation in your makeup routine. A good-quality foundation will enable the perfect base for the rest of the makeup. When choosing the best Korean foundation you can afford, think about your complexion and skin type. Based on those details, you will select the appropriate beauty product for your needs.
Do a little research before and then, just go for it. Here are the most important aspects you should consider when purchasing a Korean makeup foundation:
- Ingredients – always read the list of ingredients when you want to buy makeup, beauty, and skincare product, including foundation. The best type of Korean foundation is one that’s made of natural and harmless ingredients. Avoid, if you can, those products that contain talc, aluminum, and other heavy metals. Also, verify whether or not the foundation has ingredients that are potentially allergenic;
- Long-lasting – one of the most important benefits of a good foundation is its durability. How long will it last on your skin? Is it resistant to sweat and rain? If it’s not long-lasting, then you shouldn’t buy it. The best kind of Korean foundation should remain fresh on your face and skin for around 8 hours;
- Coverage – when it comes to Korean foundations, there are various different ranges of coverage. Some of them are meant to give you a dewily look, whereas others can offer a matte finish. So, pick the product according to your needs and preferences. But, make sure that the foundation you want to purchase provides full coverage.
How to Find the Best Korean Foundation – Top 7 Choices
Any of the foundations mentioned below will make your face look smooth, natural, fresh, and clean. But, I strongly recommend you to carefully read about every single product to make a well-informed buying decision and find out the foundation that suits your skin type the most.
I have selected and listed the following products based on their ingredient list as well as their customer reviews. However, I haven’t presented them in any specific order.
Air Cushion BB Cream by Quicksand
The Quicksand BB cream foundation will brighten your skin and cover pores, blemishes, and small spots. It will offer you a natural look. This Korean foundation is the perfect choice for those who have fair, medium, and medium-dark complexion. The base consists of a strong moisturizer that’s prepared of around 70% plant extracts. These lower skin dryness by retaining moisture on your face.
Moreover, this liquid cream foundation has waterproof properties which means that your face will remain fresh and natural for many hours.
- It’s a long-lasting and hydrating foundation;
- The formula isn’t greasy at all;
- The compact size of the product makes it perfect for when you’re traveling;
- This foundation is resistant to sweat as well as waterproof;
- It’s a multi-purpose makeup product that can be used as a foundation, concealer, or BB cream.
- It comes in a limited number of available shades.
Advanced Real Moisture by Touch in Sol
What I love most about the Advanced Real Moisture Foundation is its SPF 30 feature. I also like the way this product can maintain your skin well-hydrated due to its water-holding formula. This is a 3-in-1 makeup product because it serves three different purposes: reducing wrinkles, improving skin glow, and providing sun protection.
You can choose from two available color tones: nude beige and natural beige.
- This formula feels lightweight on your skin;
- It retains moisture and keeps your skin hydrated for a long time;
- This foundation offers great coverage;
- The texture is smooth and creamy;
- With it, you can cover scars, acne, and blemishes.
- There aren’t many available color tones to choose from;
- It works better on drier skin types;
- This product contains titanium dioxide. It’s a compound that could lead to allergic reactions in those people who have skin sensitivities.
Magic Cushion Foundation by Missha M
The interesting fact about this Missha M Korean foundation is represented by its innovative micro-pigmented delivery system. That specific system prevents your complexion from looking cakey after you apply and wear the product.
The outcome will be a smooth finish with a long-lasting effect. This powder contains soft silica beads that will constantly absorb sebum and sweat to keep your face fresh for many hours at a time.
It has a great SPF power of 50+. So, if you want to use a great Korean cushion foundation, this makeup product is definitely an excellent candidate. The foundation is formulated with vegetable-derived extracts for boosted hydrating effects.
- Your skin will remain free from sweat and sebum while you’re wearing this foundation;
- It has a long-lasting effect;
- It can effectively cover blemishes, skin discoloration, and under-eye dark circles;
- The smooth finish it provides feels lightweight on your skin.
- A couple of users said that the color was a tad too light for their taste;
- One reviewer said that she experienced mild allergic reactions on her forehead.
Air Cushion BB Cream Foundation by Catkin
With this Catkin BB cream foundation, you will be able to rebalance the sebum levels that your skin normally produces. This product works amazingly by deeply moisturizing the inner layers of your complexion while also maintaining the skin surface very smooth. It can be a great lightweight makeup base due to the fact that it allows your skin to breathe.
The Catkin foundation provides medium coverage and blurs dark spots and blemishes. With it, your face will look clearer and flawless. The powder contains smooth silica beads that have the role of absorbing sweat and excess oil. Simply put, your skin will remain shine-free and almost matte all through the day.
- This foundation is lightweight and a very good choice for acne-prone skin;
- Your complexion will have a semi-matte finish and will look clean and almost poreless;
- It is a long-lasting medium-coverage foundation;
- It hydrates your skin, lowers acne, prevents wrinkles, and balances sebum levels;
- The product is very easy to apply and you will also receive a free refill.
- There are only two available color tones to pick from: ivory and natural;
- A few users said they felt this product was a bit greasy on their skin.
Etude House Face Blur Foundation
The Face Blur foundation marketed by Etude House has a pleasant texture in the form of a lightweight cream. It’s a 3-in-1 makeup product that doesn’t feel heavy on your face. In fact, you will look glowy and youthful when wearing this foundation. All your skin bumps, acne signs, fine wrinkles, and pores will be covered by this product.
Not only will this Korean foundation help you achieve a flawless appearance, but it also offers sun protection with an SPF of 33+. Your skin will become smoother due to the foundation’s multi-filtering effects.
- Your skin will become softer, smoother, and brighter with this Korean foundation;
- You can use it as a makeup base due to its lightweight formula;
- It’s the perfect choice for everyday use.
- One reviewer said that this product made her skin feel and look dry;
- Another user said she expected this foundation to last longer on her skin.
Peripera Airy Ink Cushion
The Peripera Korean foundation is another airy and breathable ink cushion powder that offers your complexion a very natural, almost like no-makeup, look. This formula is almost invisible but has a high-density double layer that stays on your skin all day long without oxidating or fading away.
It focuses on an air-cover effect that will help you achieve a smooth and silky finish. The color mentioned on the package is number 3 sand but the final results might differ, depending on your natural skin tone.
- It does a good job at covering both pores and blemishes;
- It won’t get oxidized;
- This formula is very lightweight and covers scars and wrinkles.
- One user said that, although this foundation is good, its applicator isn’t that great;
- Another client stated that the coverage is medium, not full.
g. TROIAREUKE H+ Cushion Foundation
This cushion foundation from Troiareuke is specially created to suit dry skin. It will hydrate, nourish, and moisturize your skin and will give you a radiant and dewy finish. The coverage is light and it features a slight satiny or silky effect. This product comes with double protection: against wrinkles and aging signs, and against UV rays.
Compared to other foundation applicators, the sponge that comes with this product has a great chewy texture which comes in handy for those who want to use the entire foundation in an effective manner, until the very last drop. So, this sponge will help you avoid wastage.
- The formula is long-lasting and lightweight;
- The applicator is great;
- This is a moisturizing Korean foundation;
- It’s great for those who have sensitive skin.
- The range of available shades is somewhat limited.
Finding the Best Korean Foundation – Tips & Guidelines
Here are some important aspects and guidelines you need to keep in mind when purchasing the best Korean foundation you can afford:
- Find the perfect shade – to do this, you must apply a small amount of foundation on your chest area to see if it matches your natural skin color. That’s needed because most foundations tend to oxidize after a while and they get darker;
- Think about your complexion’s undertones – warm complexions are best fitted with foundation shades that have yellow undertones. Cooler skin colors are best paired with foundations that feature pink undertones;
- Find out the level of coverage that you need – I love makeup products that offer me full coverage but sometimes, especially during summer, I don’t feel like wearing heavy makeup. Therefore, I opt for sheer foundations that are buildable and allow my skin to breathe;
- Consider the type of your skin – you can choose between dewy and matte finishes based on your needs and preferences. If you have dry skin, then you can and should use dewy foundations. Those who have oily skin should opt for the products that offer them a matte finish;
- Adjust the shade of the foundation to the present season – I don’t believe you can use the same foundation shade all year round. During summer, our skin gets a warmer and even bronzier look. So, during that period, you should use warmer shades of foundations that also have UV protection.
Question: Why Are Korean Makeup Brands So Popular?
Answer: Korean makeup, skincare, and beauty products are all very admired and popular nowadays. The reasons behind that increased popularity are the products’ level of efficacy and their high-quality ingredients. Here are some perks that Korean cosmetics offer to their users:
• Skin improvement – most Korean beauty products are meant to maintain or improve the health of your skin. Therefore, they seem to target numerous skin imperfections such as red spots, blemishes, acne, and more;
• Excellent composition – composition is one of the most important aspects of any beauty product because the outcome is going to be the one you expected or even better only if the product is formulated with safe and high-quality ingredients. Compared to other brands, Korean cosmetics contain mostly natural ingredients;
• Affordability – many people, including myself, are budget-conscious when they purchase anything. I rarely can afford expensive cosmetics and I am sure I am not the only one in this situation. But I still want to invest my money in good-quality and effective skincare items; ones that won’t harm my complexion. Korean cosmetics come at reasonable prices;
• Natural beauty – a proper skin routine that consists of using effective and harmless products is important if you want your skin to look good and maintain its freshness and elasticity. Most of these Korean brands focus on providing a natural kind of beauty by purifying and cleansing the skin or their clients;
• Modern technology – most Korean makeup and beauty products are based on research and they’re constantly updating their technology. That’s why many people consider these products very valuable in terms of what they have to offer. Korean manufacturers are always coming with new and innovative methods to market amazing beauty products.
Question: What Types of Foundations Do Korean Women Use?
Answer: The majority of Koreans like their complexion to have a dewy and glowy finish while also look natural. Therefore, they prefer to use light shades of foundation that provide a small to medium level of coverage. However, Korean brands are aware of the fact that people from other countries might enjoy a full-coverage foundation that provides a matte finish, so, nowadays, you will find a wide range of available types of Korean foundations on the market.
Question: Why Does Korean Skin Look So Flawless?
Answer: Korean women pay very close attention to their daily skincare routine and they see this as an investment of their time, money, and effort into looking youthful all the time. Here are the main steps they follow during their skincare prep:
• First, they use the double cleanse method during which they remove any makeup that’s on their face, apply gentle oil cleansers, and wash it all off with lukewarm water;
• Most Korean women enjoy their acne-free complexion because they always cleanse their face twice each time by applying a foaming cleanser or a mild cream alternative;
Supple skin is also achieved through exfoliation but make sure that you don’t rub your face when scrubbing. Just use gentle movements;
• Then, you want to tighten your skin with a little bit of toner before applying a nourishing essence that boosts the cellular renewal process of your skin cells;
• Now, it’s time to apply a more consistent and vitamin-rich essence to address issues such as dull skin, loss of elasticity, aging signs, wrinkles, and uneven tone;
• Apply two types of leave-in masks: one that covers the sensitive under-eye area and another one for the rest of your face;
• The following step consists of applying eye cream, followed by a lightweight emulsion, and night cream for extra hydrating purposes.
How to Find the Best Korean Foundation – Bottom Line
Korean makeup products are the ideal choice for all of you who’re very conscious about your skin health. Korean cosmetics, including foundations, are the best due to their natural and mild formulas. Don’t forget to check the ingredient list and buy a Korean foundation that offers full coverage and is also long-lasting.
Out of all the items I’ve presented above, my personal favorite choice would be the Peripera Ink Cushion foundation for its medium to full coverage and the TROIAREUKE Cushion foundation due to its natural and hypoallergenic formula.
- Best Color Changing Foundation Guide: My 7 All-Time Favorites - September 19, 2022
- L’Oreal True Match Concealer Review: Is It Worth The Hype? - September 10, 2022
- How to Find the Best Blurring Primer: Top 7 Choices to Consider - August 31, 2022