Lipstick can be underrated – people forget just how powerful lip color can be to a makeup look! With a bold red lip, you can channel your inner glamazon, and with a rich plum shade, cooler weather feels a little warmer. Not to mention nudes and natural hues are workplace appropriate and make your lips look smooth and polished!
L’Oréal lipsticks have formulas for all lip needs with several different shades to choose from, so this best L’Oréal lipsticks guide shows them all off.
I love lipstick, and my appreciation of lip color developed late compared to my love of other cosmetics. I don’t mind the natural shade of my lip. Still, lipstick isn’t just about covering up what already exists but about showing off your personality and mood while elevating your style with a finishing touch.
L’Oréal is the queen of the cosmetic world, and their lipsticks feel luxurious at affordable prices. It’s easy to try out different shades and find your favorites for any event and every season!
L’Oréal has a few different lipstick lines with several colors to choose from. I’ve included every single line they currently have on store shelves, including Colour Riche, Infallible, and Age Perfect.
I’ve listed comparable options, too, based on several factors.
- Price point. Some of the alternatives I’ve listed are incredibly close in price and are easily found in the cosmetic section alongside L’Oréal.
- Colour options. There’s no such thing as too many options when it comes to lip color shades, so I made sure to include brands that draw inspiration from all shades of the color wheel.
- Specialized formulations. Not everyone loves creamy formulas; some appreciate matte lipsticks or glossy formulas. There’s something for every preference on this list!
Bottom Line Up Front
If you’re looking for an essential lipstick that offers tons of shades without bells or whistles, I love the Colour Riche lip colors – my favorite shade of the moment is Plum Explosion! If you need some extra nourishment or prefer different consistencies, read on to find the best L’Oréal has to offer.
Colour Riche Lip Colour
L’Oréal Colour Riche Lipstick is the iconic creamy formula lipstick we all know and love! With over 50 lush shades to choose from, this line has one of the most extensive shade ranges L’Oréal has. My favorite thing about this lipstick is that it doesn’t need a thousand passes to get some pigment – one swipe is all you need to achieve rich color with moisturizing benefits.
Enriched with Vitamin E, this lipstick treats your lips kindly without harsh ingredients to dry out your lips. From bold, bright shades to subtle nudes, the Colour Riche line covers every base. As a bonus, the tube is elegant, and you’ll love carrying it around to touch up your color throughout the day.
- Classic and stunning shades with a nourishing Argan oil formula.
- No smudge formula doesn’t migrate past the lips and stays only where you apply it.
- More than 50 shades from four color families – nudes, berries, reds, and pinks – suit any skin tone.
- It doesn’t boast long-lasting color.
Colour Riche Ultra Matte Lipstick
Matte lips look so stunningly understated – you can pull off a bold color in any setting with a professional and elegant matte finish. The 1990s were the prime time for matte lipsticks, but they made a comeback in the 2010s and are here to stay. The thing I love most about a matte finish is the staying power! High gloss and creamy formulas don’t always last, but matte formulas transfer less, making the pigment stay longer.
While L’Oréal has fewer matte shades than other Colour Riche lines, the colors they offer are varied enough to make up for it. The best way to pull off a matte look is to exfoliate the lips first and keep the lips hydrated, so the color doesn’t appear dried out.
- It’s infused with oils to help with hydration.
- Gel ingredients make the pigment appear matte but still look smooth.
- Sixteen different shades to try out.
- While the lipstick lasts on the lips, it can lose its quality in the tube, so if it takes you years to use up a lipstick, this formula will break down.
Infallible 2-Step Lip Colour
This two-step system is designed to seal your color and keep it from smudging or transferring throughout the day. Start with your highly pigmented shade and finish with the color seal balm for the most extended wear L’Oréal has to offer. I avoid this lipstick because I don’t love gloss-like applicators, but I’ve tried their pinkish nude: Everlasting Caramel.
The staying power was awe-inspiring, especially since it lasted through all my coffee drinking! I like that the balm works double duty to moisturize the lips, so there are no flakes or patchy colors.
- Up to 24-hour wear!
- 23 shades to explore.
- Highly pigmented, meaning you only need a thin layer of product.
- Not truly a “lipstick” with an applicator reminiscent of lipgloss.
Colour Riche Plump & Shine Lipstick
L’Oréal isn’t getting left behind in the world of plumping lipstick, but they’re putting their spin on things. The Colour Riche Plump & Shine lipstick leaves a glossy feel behind for a glowing finish. This line aims to boost the volume of your lips, so the color is more tinted than intensely pigmented.
The tingling sensation is addictive but doesn’t dry out lips – I love that they don’t leave the importance of hydration out of this formula. It’ll emulate your favorite gloss and give you fuller lips without the filler.
- Adds some sparkle and luminescence to your lips.
- Six shades that adjust to any skin tone!
- Totally swoon-worthy packaging.
- The lipstick is fruit-scented based on the shade you choose, which may be a dealbreaker.
Brilliant Signature Liquid Lip Colour
Brilliant Signature Liquid Lip Colour is more than just beautiful packaging (though the tube is glamourous and bold). But the formula inside offers unmatched shine and style. Without the sticky feelings of most glosses, the bold colors feel light as air – your lips will feel lipstick-free.
I’ve overcome my hesitation towards lip applicators for this line of lip color! Despite the gloss-like application wand, I can’t deny the quality and shine of the product. The oil makes the formula feel smooth and moisturizing, and you’ll be surprised that this pigment can last all day.
- It comes in 12 pigmented shades to fall in love with.
- Every shade starts with a verb – my favorite is Be Brilliant – so it’s the perfect power lipstick.
- Ultra long-lasting shades that don’t fade.
- The only drawback is the applicator, which doesn’t have to be a dealbreaker.
Colour Riche Shine Lipstick
Looking for glossy shine in lipstick? L’Oréal Colour Riche Shine Lipstick is oil-infused, not only for hydration but to capture the light and keep all eyes on your lips. The color is still pigmented enough to add depth to your lips and be as powerful as any other lipstick.
The shine effect lasts, and I love the moisturizing qualities in this line. L’Oréal leaves out the wax and swaps it out with oils to develop a lipstick that will nourish your lips rather than dry them out.
- Boost moisture without the greasy feeling.
- Less wax and more oil make the color stick to your lips longer.
- Gorgeous shades for every skin tone.
- While the colors are stunning, there are very few options limiting your lipstick looks.
Age Perfect Hydrating Core Lipstick
The iconic Jane Fonda is the face of this line, and since I love her, I love this product! Just like any form of makeup or skincare, mature skin has different needs, and lips are no different. L’Oréal uses an exterior of pigment and a core of nourishing serum to keep lipstick looking great on mature skin.
Feathering of color and migrating lipstick is a concern when choosing lipstick, but it’s an even greater consideration for older makeup lovers. This formula checks all the boxes with a satiny finish that’s not at all sticky.
- It’s enriched with Vitamin B5 for hydration.
- Enhance lips with a natural finish – no greasy feel.
- Long-lasting formula that stays on for hours.
- Only available in ten shades.
Alternatives to L’Oréal Lipsticks
As much as I love L’Oréal lipsticks, there are so many other unique brands to explore that make amazing lipsticks themselves. Some of my favorite alternatives are also drugstore brands, but others are more high-end, so check out these other options!
Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick
Currently, the Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick is my most used lip product in my makeup bag – specifically in the color Plumalicious, a stunning pearlized plum that suits any setting. It’s comparable to the Colour Riche Lip Colour in its general consistency, and the pigment is vibrant.
It has over 60 shades with two different finishes – pearl, which has a slight shimmer, and cream, which is more traditional. I love how lightweight it feels, but it’s still nourishing and doesn’t dry out my lips. Living in a dry climate, I need something that gives a little boost of moisture without compromising on color quality or weight.
- Infused with Vitamin E and Avocado oil.
- Doesn’t get cakey over time.
- It takes very little product to make a statement.
- It needs the occasional touch-up, so it’s best to carry the tube with you.
Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Lipstick
Charlotte Tilbury is taking over TikTok for a good reason. Their products are featured in beauty videos and getting rave reviews, and their lipstick is no exception. I’ve succumbed to the trend and tried the Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Lipstick, and I can see why there’s so much hype!
This formula is buildable so that you can start with a swipe of pigment, and if you want more, you can quickly build more color without adding weight to your look. I was pleasantly surprised how long it lasted without needing a refresh. I bite and lick my lips while trying to concentrate, and the Matte Revolution Lipstick withstood it all.
- Super hydrating formula.
- Vegan and without parabens.
- Eighteen varied shades to choose from.
- It’s expensive.
MAC Lustreglass Lipstick
MAC is an iconic brand with an established history of creating high-quality products at mid-range prices. The MAC Lustreglass Lipstick is one of my defaults because of the creamy, long-lasting formula with everyday shades that make my makeup look polished, no matter how much I wear.
The mix of shine and hydration is the perfect balance in lipstick! With weightlessness that is hard to match, this smooth formula will always be a go-to!
- Raspberry seed oil and olive oil make a non-greasy, creamy formulation.
- Long-wearing for every day or a special event.
- Over fifteen varied shades from bright pinks and reds to perfect nudes.
- The major drawback of MAC makeup is that it’s not cruelty-free.
Question: Which lipstick shade is the most attractive?
Answer: Surprisingly, while a pop of color is always well-loved, nude tones are among the most popular shades that make people feel more attractive. Whether that’s because it enhances their natural lip or because it’s so versatile for any occasion, it’s tough to say.
Of course, following the nudes, the other power shades are light pink, dark pink, berry red, and crimson red.
Question: What color lipstick are men most attracted to?
Answer: Most men might not have a clear answer when you ask what lipstick they like best – they might even think they don’t consider it. But studies have shown that men actually gravitate towards certain shades of lipstick! Bold reds seem to be the most captivating to most men. Something to keep in mind when you’re trying to woo your partner!
Question: What kind of lipstick should an older woman wear?
Answer: To maintain a youthful look and not highlight the wrong things, mature women should stick to cream or slightly matte formulas. They are incredibly classic, timeless, and not too trendy and favor mature women in many ways.
Cream lipsticks are ultra-hydrating, which older women generally need on their lips and most matte finishes – like the one from L’Oréal – are hydrating. Anything with shine, luminescence, or pearlescence can sink into fine lines and emphasize them. That’s the last thing any mature woman wants from her makeup!
Best L’oreal Lipsticks Guide: Bottom Line
L’Oréal knows lipsticks, and they’ve created several varieties that suit everyone’s dream lips – whether you want matte, plumping, unparalleled shine, or need something for mature lips, L’Oréal has you covered. I love their classic Colour Riche Lipstick, but I also stray to other lipsticks and other brands.
Revlon is also an excellent alternative to L’Oréal – it’s in the same aisle of the drug store and has all the same finishes and many shades to choose from. I alternate between these two the most, stepping out to other versions when it strikes me.
But ultimately, my heart belongs to L’Oréal lipsticks, and while I don’t use every formula all the time, it’s still my favorite affordable brand to trust completely.
- Best Estee Lauder Lipsticks Guide - July 22, 2022
- Best L’Oreal Lipsticks Guide - June 27, 2022
- Best L’Oreal Concealer Options - June 5, 2022